Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Child-like Faith

The Great Divorce pg. 40-41.
Spirit: "I will bring you to the land not of questions but of answers, and you shall see the face of God."
Ghost: "Ah but we must all interpret those beautiful words in our own way! For me there is not such thing as a final answer. The free wind of inquiry must always continue to blow through the mind, must it not? 'Prove all things' . . . to travel hopefully is better than to arrive."
(more discussion)
Spirit: "Listen! Once you were a child. Once you knew what inquiry was for. There was a time when you asked questions because you wanted answers, and were glad when you had found them. Become that child again: even now."

When I read these pages, I felt comforted in holding a point of view that I have held since I have been exposed to the adult world. Now I know that I do this too, but there are so many groups and people that are so intent on getting "hard core" answers for everything in life, especially God. They are constantly searching for evidence of who is God, what is he like, why does he do things or allow them to happen . . . even does he exist.

Personally I believe that God encourages us to seek him and seek his wisdom. He even encourages seeking out answers to our doubts--God isn't afraid of doubt--He's the one being that can stand up to any doubt and still remain rock-solid and true. However, He gave us tools we can use to find answers to our questions, such as prayer and the Bible.

I'm really speaking for Christians in this blog as I continue. God gives us answers even here on earth, but they aren't always the answers we want. They can often be vague, mysterious, and what we would say is full of more unanswered questions. However, I don't always see this as a reason to search our whole lives trying to answer questions that are trivial compared to the answer of salvation--Jesus.

Like I said earlier, I see nothing wrong with asking questions and searching for answers--I do it myself. However, so many Christians/people are like the ghost, they are never content with the answers they do receive from God. And sometimes His answer is 'not yet . . . you don't need to know that information yet.' Or sometimes our answers are not scientifically proven, we just have to take God's word.

So far I feel like I've been rambling and all of you are unsure of where I am going. Ultimately there is one answer that so many people, including me, have trouble with hearing and obeying--Child-like faith. We just have to believe. No matter how crazy, mysterious, or questionable God's leading, answers, or Biblical teaching seem, we should see child-like faith as answer to our life questions. Because we don't need to know everything right now, God will show us in time. Maybe we will never get some of our questions answered. But that is not more important than our salvation and trust in the Lord.

Some people see my opinion as simple-minded, and I'm okay with that. I'll keep asking my questions and searching for answers. God will continue to answer me in His own way, whether through the Bible, prayer, revelation, etc. And I will continue attempting to just trust His answers with as much child-like faith as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment