Thursday, September 16, 2010

"...all find what they truly seek."

In The Last Battle, I really didn't understand why Emeth got into Aslan's country. He followed Tash his whole life, serving and worshiping him. According to Lewis, Emeth seeking Aslan, even though he didn't know what he was looking for, was what, for lack of a better phrase,"got him into" Aslan's country. Can someone really follow Christ without even knowing it?

After reading James Sennett's "Worthy of a Better God," I did a lot of thinking about what I believe. I started rolling the idea of Inclusivism around in my head. Would God save someone who didn't know Him explicitly? And what about the people that "have never heard"? Would God send them to eternal punishment? Then I remembered a verse...

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities‑his eternal power and divine nature‑have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20

I'm still struggling in determining whether I would call my self an inclusivist or an exclusivist. I've been brought up to believe that there is "one true religion, and that one must belong to that religion in order to be saved." (p. 233) Then again, I have also believed that infants and young children go to heaven. They do not "explicitly" belong to a religion, because they aren't able to understand that. That would make me an inclusivist. But for me, believing that people in Africa who have never heard Christ's name go to heaven is a step further than believing that infants go to heaven.

Before this class, I suppose I was one of those people that put Lewis on a pedestal. I loved Narnia (and still do) but I blindly followed everything Lewis stood for. I now realize this was a mistake. By following anyone blindly, I'm not saying what I believe, I'm just going along with whoever's book I'm reading at the moment. I will definitely still have to wrestle with the idea of inclusivism vs. exclusivism, but I learned a lot from this chapter. It's important for me to absorb information critically, instead of just taking it for what it says.

2 comments:

  1. It is difficult to strike the right balance between being afraid of new ideas so that one never changes one's mind about anything and being so captivated by new ideas that one's opinions shift like the sand. Probably we all lean too much toward one of these tendencies, but we need to find a middle way.

    The verse from Romans is important. However, isn't the implication of this verse (and of early Romans more generally) that people are able to understand something of God in nature? Inclusivists can agree that we must all make some sort of response to God and that some people fail to make that response. Those who fail to do so are without excuse. In the end, many inclusivists would turn to this view in Romans to support their position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's what I gathered from the Romans verse the second time I read through it when I was writing my blog post. It could go either way. Nature could be proof enough to someone that there IS a higher power, and could be saved by that.
    ...I guess only God really knows.

    ReplyDelete