Friday, September 17, 2010

Babies and Tribal Men

Since the discussion, my mind is constantly struggling with the thought of what happens to those in other countries who haven't heard of Christ. I've thought about it before and I never really made a final decision of what I believed, simply, well I know what I am called to do and the Great Commission but then what about the people who have a faith and seek the truth. Maybe they are already following God but they are simply calling him by another name. This past semester in Belize, we discussed a lot about how God came to redeem creation as well not just mankind. This also causes me struggle because then our God of love will save the rocks, the trees, the creatures of this Earth, but only saves a select few humans? I understand the scripture I know what it says, but as someone mentioned in class the other day, universalism sounds nice. But does universalism simply make things be comfortable for us to digest, make it all happy go lucky? Is it just putting God in a box saying God you would never do that?

The situation with babies as well. It clicked in my head the other day during class that it is very similar to the indigenous tribes. Babies have never heard nor did they have a chance. Just like the indigenous tribes. Does that mean that if indigenous tribes who never heard the name of Christ don't get in then babies don't? I don't know. Its a constant debate. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I started wrestling with this question when I was a teenager, and I still wrestle with it. I guess I think it's *right* that we aren't comfortable with it. I'd be disturbed by someone who wasn't troubled by the idea of any human beings going to hell, much less babies and entire cultures without a chance at salvation.

    In future books, Lewis will talk about how "getting saved" isn't at all easy. Think of Eustace getting his dragon skin peeled off. Even after we die, Lewis thinks, God will have a lot to do in order to make us ready to be with him. So even if universalism were true, this wouldn't necessarily make salvation easy, nor would it eliminate the need for judgment. But the final judgment's purpose would be to bring everyone to the point of bowing and confessing Jesus as Lord.

    ReplyDelete