Friday, September 10, 2010

Loss of Appeal?

Throughout reading the Narnia series and reacquainting myself with The Lord of the Rings, I am plagued by the question--Why do these stories seem to lose their magic or appeal after we interpret them as Christian stories? (Of course, this is not true for everyone.) But I overheard in class, talked with my fellow students, and read on the blog, that many feel that same as myself on this issue.
As children we were drawn into these stories and found their fantastical plots to be so intriguing (though I am sure that is not how I described them back then, I think I said something more like, "Mom, this book is so cool!"), however, now as we are "grown up" and reading these stories looking for theological/philosophical references, the stories seem to lose this appeal. We seem to be picking apart the magic that all takes place.
Again, why? Why does taking a deeper look into one of the possible intents of these stories seem to ruin the fantasy and excitement of it all? I realize that we are no longer children and the depth these stories hold was beyond our interest, or possibly capability at that point in our childhood, but to be honest, I fear that having grown up isn't the main reason for putting us off to these stories.
I honestly wonder if it is more that fact that we have lost our intrigue with the aspect of God. If we no longer find excitement and mystery found in the story of the fall, the conflict of good vs. evil, or the redemption of man. When in fact, these stories and themes found within our childhood favorites are the most mysterious and powerful of all, and should hold the most intrigue with their fantastical reality.
I, in no way, speak for everyone or even know if this is the case for me, but I search for the answer as to what it is we lose when we look deeper into the theological themes of these stories, and why it is we seem to lose that special something.

3 comments:

  1. I'd really like to hear more people weigh in on this!

    I wonder if the "loss of appeal" is due to growing up, reading the story one loved as a child as an adult and finding it wanting? Or is it due to subjecting the story to critical appraisal? Or both?

    Are there folks for whom there isn't a loss of appeal? I'm one. I've found the Narnia stories more fascinating, in fact, as I began to see the ways in which various themes from Lewis's other works show up in a fantasy context. Even as a young person, I think these stories made me think--in addition to transporting me to another world. But I'm a philosopher, so I know I'm weird. You?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm a little different --unfortunately I missed out on the whole "childhood Narnia" expiernce. I just never took the time to read or was read them by my parental units. I tried reading the Magician's Nephew once in high school...and I thought it was utterly boring. However, this was before I accepted Christ into my heart. Now feel free to call me out on putting the ole "Jesus-spectacles" on..but when I picked the books up again, it was a brand new experience. I was discovering the relatedness between my own experiences of Scripture and Christ--searching for all the undertones of Christianity and faith I could! Perhaps because I missed out on the childhood experience my take on this is a little misdirected, but I like Jensen's "more fascinating". In my perspective, Christ makes things more exciting, with a fullness and depth..much like the Narnia within Narnia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking something along the same lines earlier this week.
    Like Jeff I didn’t read Narnia as a child, so reading them now they seem childish and the theology is blatant and sometimes blurry. (On the other hand, The Chronicles of Narnia were instrumental in my younger sister life; they were a catalyst to her becoming a born-again believer.) To be honest, I think they are silly, hastily-written children’s tales, but I can see the appeal to others.
    I did, however, read The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarilion when I was in middle school, and haven’t had the time to revisit them since. I want to read them again, but I hesitate for the exact reasons Elise mentioned. Currently those stories retain a mystical and other-worldly sense. As much as I enjoyed them, I’m not even sure I understood them. And I can’t help but wonder if I were to read them today, would I lose myself in analyzing the complexities of the Tolkien’s world and the effects of his “sub-creation”?
    Jesus tells Nicodemus only those with faith like a child will enter into heaven. So if we learn “too much” and discard our child-like faith, are we barred from heaven, like Susan?
    Personally I know the more I learn, the more I lose my sense of wonderment, whether it is in regard to fantastical realms or Bible stories. But I recognize that I am not God, therefore I cannot know everything. As I change and grow it’s inevitable that I increase my understanding. So as long as I retain a balance between knowledge and humility, wonder and awareness, I’d like to think that retain my faith.

    ReplyDelete