Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wicked Denial

As I read the chapter on "Human Wickedness," I just kept thinking, wow, we really try to a lot of lengths just to make ourselves feel better about ourselves.
First, an early sentence that stuck out to me was "thus a man easily comes to console himself for all his other vices by a conviction that 'his heart's in the right place' and 'he wouldn't hurt a fly,' though in fact he has never made the slightest sacrifice for a fellow creature." (pg. 49)
This is one of those instances in life that the thought doesn't count. It's the action that counts. A Christian can have every intention in the world; but if they don't follow through with them, the intentions mean nothing. What if we were saying now that 'God's heart is in the right place' and 'he wouldn't hurt a fly,' but God never followed through with his action of saving us? It wouldn't seem so alright to us then.
Then Lewis went on to say: "we imply, and often believe, that habitual vices are exeptional single acts, and make the oppposite mistake about our virtues."
Once again we go to the trouble of convincing ourselves that we are such good people. So we stumbled just "this once," 'it's not like I do this all the time.' 'What does God expect perfection?' I am guilty of this myself. I go on an SSP or I find someway to help someone else; then for the rest of that hour, day, week, I feel great about what a great follower of God I am. 'Good for me, I am such a good little servant' and I didn't even expect a thank-you, how humble am I. Ok, obviously I am mocking myself, but then seriously later in the day, I will sin and let wickedness overcome me and I find someway to excuse myself.
The whole rest of the chapter Lewis spelled out more and different ways that we excuse ourselves for our wicked behavior. I kept thinking, yeah, we make ourselves feel better about ourselves in the short-run, but it would be more beneficial to us to accept our weaknesses, acknowledge our wrongs, and stop making stupid excuses. Other humans may be falsely convinced, but the excuses don't fly with God--and that is what truly matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment