Sunday, October 31, 2010

Can friendship exist without inquisitiveness?

As I read through the chapter in The Four Loves on friendship, I found myself comparing Lewis's views with my own experiences. Lewis claims that friendship is based on a shared interest. He further describes it as agreement on a question, while not considered important to others, important to the individuals in the friendship.

Certainly there must be different types of friendship in regard to depth and quality. I agree that friendship may begin with a shared interest, but I do not think it always remains based on that interest. People change and their interests change. For example, I have a friend who I have been friends with for as long as I can remember. I can't ever remember a time, however, when our friendship was based solely on one shared interest. It is true that we share many interests, but as we have both grown older, I think that our friendship has evolved to be based on caring about the other person and who they are. I have other friends with whom I would say I have not as strong of a relationship. Such friendships tend to revolve around a certain class that I'm taking or a common major.

Lewis claims that "we do not want to know about our friend's affairs at all" but that such details come out "casually" (p.70). Such an idea of friendship seems polarly opposite to the modern idea of how friendship is portrayed. In both of the types of friendships I previously described, I feel that it is important to inquire, for example, about how that person's day went, how they are liking their classes, or if their mom has recovered from her illness. Such inquisitiveness shows friends that one is interested in more than just one shared common interest. It demonstrates that one cares about who that person is and about their journey in life.

Perhaps the idea of friendship has changed since Lewis's time or the types of friendships that Lewis had tended to be more academically based than most friendships are today. For me, academics can be a part of the friendship, but inquisitiveness about other areas of life is essential in order that both people feel that they are wholly accepted and cared for by the other. This implies a versatility not present in Lewis's definition of friendship, without which, I can imagine the friendship eventually becoming dull.

It is also possible that Lewis would attribute the deeper quality (and inquisitiveness) that I value in friendships to another love. He does acknowledge in each chapter that one love is not able to be fully separated from the others. Even so, I do not agree that it is possible to have a deep, true friendship without some inquisitiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment