Wednesday, October 6, 2010

God's Will

Christianese 101: Say “I just want to do God’s will.” Repeat obnoxiously, perhaps adding “God’s will” to different clauses.

Ok, ok, maybe that’s a little cynical, but lately I’ve been running into this type of mentality quite often. I’ll be chatting with somebody about an impending decision, and he will throw out the statement above. He doesn’t even want to weigh the options, because God’s will is something mysterious and transcendental that we have to mediate. God forbid you choose the wrong college, because His will for your life will be derailed! I get the impression that this person views God as a puppeteer, controlling every movement and molecule in the Universe. The logical conclusion of this belief is that God is going to end up throwing a tea party for his favorite stuffed animals and leave all of the ones he doesn’t want to rot and burn. I don’t think this view is very comforting, even if you are lucky enough to be one of the chosen. This God doesn’t really seem to fit with reality, at least as we know it, and more importantly with much of God’s nature as it is described in the Bible.

Now, I may be wrong (and your mom might think I’m a heretic), but give me a break. I think God gave us brains for a reason. I think we unnecessarily limit God when we think that His will can only be achieved by His constant control over every iota. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating that God isn’t present. On the contrary, I believe God sustains creation. The difference is subtle, but tangible. Control assumes that yes, there appears to be a game, but God is controlling both sides, or is able to undo certain moves. It’s like playing chess on the computer. I never lose a game because Ctr+Z is there for me whenever something doesn’t go the way I want. On the other hand, God’s sustaining act is akin to playing a game with the game’s inventor. The game wouldn’t exist without him, yet he allows you to engage in the game. Everything is ultimately his, but you are still free to do what you will inside of the guidelines.

The idea I’m trying to get at is that God is able to work His will out of the natural events of the world, because it is ultimately His. He made the rules and the pieces, but he also made players. This opens up an almost infinite number of possibilities, and also creates an equal number of problems, some of which have been brought up in class. I’m not going to offer any answers to the questions (I’ve been ranting long enough), but I think that the new problems are not as, well, problematic as a God who plays favorites with objects (I don’t feel that they can be called beings if they lack free will) that have no say whatsoever, but are capable of experiencing the pain of rejection.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not going to agree or disagree with you, Mr. Gabe. But perhaps God leads us to make "wrong" decisions so that we can thus learn from them. I find that the experiences that change me the most are usually the ones where I totally Eff up.

    And just for the record, God loves ALL of his stuffed animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to the previous comment I would just like to ask a question: is it possible for God to "lead" someone to make a wrong decision? Doesn't this belie His nature?

    That being said, I find that decisions in my life that I would label as "wrong" have lead to some very positive changes, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good often comes from our mistakes, and we talk about learning the hard way. Why does that mean that God must have caused us to make those mistakes? I'm not saying he can't use those mistakes in the grand scheme of things, but I believe it is extremely dangerous to say "God made me do it." So much evil in history has been justified by the claim that God's will was being done (e.g. The Crusades). I think Emma is right on when she says that a God who "leads" us to make "wrong" decisions.

    Also, I'm not arguing that God can't love His stuffed animals, just that stuffed animals have no ability to love Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would help to separate two questions:

    1. Does everything God wills come to pass? Or can free creatures resist God's will. The idea of God as puppeteer is a response to the idea that God is pulling the strings.

    2. How specific is God's will? For example, someone might say that God's will for you is to figure out what you really love and then find a way to do that. Or God's will for you is to love your neighbor. Here what God wills isn't specific.

    There are other questions to distinguish, too. It's hard to talk about God's will without getting confused.

    ReplyDelete