Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wickedness of Man

Lewis' chapter on the wickedness of man in The Problem of Pain, for me, did a magnificent job of showing me how humans, namely myself, find ways to rationalize our past sins to make us feel as if we are worthy for God. Lewis used eight assertions to explain how humans are utterly wicked before God-Lewis used these assertions were used to show that humans have perverted the gift of free will as a pretext to understanding the problem of pain. Personally, this chapter helped me take an evaluation of myself and I saw how I use each of his eight assertions to make myself feel better about my sin. This chapter on human wickedness helped me in a spiritual sense to understand how desperately I need Christ. If I simply take an evaluation of myself I might say I am not all that bad of a guy;however, after considering how I came to the conclusion of me "not being a bad guy" I have come to a rather opposite conclusion. I am wretched! The only way my wretched sins are forgiven is by Christ's sacrifice on the cross, not by my method of determining "good" or "evil".

1 comment:

  1. I have found that _The Screwtape Letters_ functions in that way in my own life. Although it's an imaginary correspondence about demonic temptation, what it really tells me is what I'm like deep down where I don't like to look. No doubt some of you have already read it and know what I mean. If not, we'll get there toward semester's end.

    ReplyDelete