Thursday, October 7, 2010

What's the problem with pain?

We ask ourselves the solution to the problem of pain, but maybe we should be asking ourselves why we consider pain a problem. I don’t mean to be inconsiderate of the fact that people do experience pain in this life. I know we all do – some seemingly more than others and some in seemingly more intense ways than others. I’m not saying that pain doesn’t exist. I’ve experienced it! However, what makes it a “problem,” in that we need to come up with a logical explanation for how it could possibly coexist with a good God?

The Bible quite clearly tells us that we will experience pain and suffering in this lifetime. John 16:33 says, “ I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." And Philippians 1:29 says, “For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him.” Granted these verses may largely be referring to persecution, but I think they also could be referring to suffering and pain in general.

Okay, so the Bible says we will have pain and suffering. That doesn’t really make me feel a whole lot better about pain. I already know I experience it. How does the Bible telling me I will experience pain help anything? Consider Christ’s suffering for a moment. If the God of the universe became human in order to save us and, in the process, had to suffer intensely to do so, then what possible reason could I have to question my own pain and suffering? No matter what pains we suffer on this earth, I don’t think any pain could possibly be worse than the pain of punishment for the sins of everyone in the world!

Pain will always exist and the “problem of pain” will probably always exist too if we think we can come to some conclusion about why it exists and how it can exist if there is a good God. However, I think we can find comfort in the fact that our Savior suffered too. And, if he suffered for our sake, then shouldn’t we be willing to suffer as well – as hard as it may be to accept pain without knowing why exactly it exists. If God was willing to suffer for us, and his pain had the power to save us, then shouldn’t we trust him with our pain and the knowledge that perhaps it is producing some fruit that we cannot see? I think it might be good for us to step back from viewing pain as a problem that needs remedy and find comfort as we experience pain in the knowledge that Christ also suffered – and for our sake! (2 Corinthians 1:5 says, “For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment