Friday, October 15, 2010

God's Megaphone?

At its most basic level, Lewis’ answer to the problem of pain is that it is God’s megaphone; I don’t completely buy this argument, however. I think that if God wanted to get our attention he could have thought of a better way. Pain, whether God causes it or just allows it, does not mesh with my idea of a gracious, loving God.

I prefer to believe that pain is part of this world. Maybe it’s a result of the fall. I don’t know; I wasn’t there. Regardless, I choose not to believe that a good God would allow horrors like rape and genocide to happen. I can’t explain why God miraculously heals some people and “takes” others to be with Him. I can’t explain why God allows earthquakes and tsunamis to devastate lands. And I can’t explain how an omnipotent God relates to pain, other than it is something separate from him.

“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see” (Hebrew 11:1, NIV). I want to trust in God’s sovereignty, that He knows what is best for me. And I have faith that “all things work together for good to those who love God” (Romans 8:28). Though I experience pain, I am comforted by the presence of God in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment