Thursday, October 28, 2010

Relationships

"By loving Him more than them we shall love them more than we now do" (The Four Loves, p. 139). While reading the "Charity" chapter, this statement from Lewis stuck out to me. He is talking about what love in Heaven will be like, but I think it's an encouragement in regards to our relationships on this earth.

This statement is a great reminder for any Christian, in my opinion. If God is my main priority, the object, so to speak, of most of my passion, my anchor, then the other aspects of my life will be better for it, including my relationships, which Lewis is referring to. I can be as intentional as possible with my relationships and devote a large amount of effort to these relationships, but if these human relationships become important than God, then it's not going to work. I think this reduces some of the anxiety or nervousness I feel about relationships; I don't necessarily need to try to love people more, but love God more. As a result, the relationships I have with others will naturally benefit. I know this is a systematic way of looking at my relationship with God and with others; it's not a simple thing to always keep God as the center of my life. Being a fallen, sinful human, this is incredibly difficult!

Overall, this idea that Lewis expresses was a good reminder for me because I'm the type of person who worries about everything. When God is the center of my life, everything else falls into place. It's much easier said than done, but it's encouraging nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment