Friday, December 10, 2010

Be aware

I am having a tough time reading The Screwtape Letters. I read it, but not truly embracing it because there is so much to think about in each letter. However, what I really am struggling with is the fact that it is hard to switch perspectives. Some books you read from the perspective of application. Many books that I read, especially C.S. Lewis, I read in a way where I want to take in and apply to my life or totally reject. In Screwtape we have to look at it in a different way. I had to keep reminding myself that this is possibly how Satan reacts to us. He finds our weaknesses and totally thrives off them to ruin our lives and brings us farther away from God. It was difficult to understand his point of view, because you had to differentiate between what God wants of us and what Screwtape want Wormwood to make his person think. However, we always think of what God wants of us, but the Bible tells us that we have to stand guard of the Enemy (Satan). I guess that is kind of what the Screwtape Letters are a warning to the readers of ways to defend themselves. But like I said before, it is important to understand what perspective you are reading from, because it can be confusing

There is one thing that I really had a tough time dealing with in most of Lewis's book and that there is so much to take in one sitting. It was really hard for me to truly understand everything that Lewis was trying to say, because he had so much to say. What I found really interesting and awesome at the same time, is that Lewis had so much to talk about. I feel that he talked about many difficult subjects and that is what he truly enjoyed talking about. It is amazing how much he did in a short amount of time. This class really helped me understand a lot of things that Lewis may have been trying to say. I would love to read the books again, but with more time and with someone to discuss again to hear their opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment