Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A prayer as well...

This is kind of in response to Jefferey's last post. Reading through his post, I was also plagued with thoughts about prayer. There are so many different kinds of prayer out there. Which kind is right? Which kind does God "prefer"? Through my years of experience and visiting and learning about different denominations and their forms of prayer, I have learned that all prayer is beautiful and sacred to God. There is something beautiful encased in the liturgical prayers of the Anglican church. Truth that is spoken through them. As well, as there is beauty in the simply cry out to Jesus with one's whole heart, to be simply broken, open, real, to talk to Jesus as if He was your best friend sitting next to you.

It's so easy, however, to simply fall into the rhythm of prayer, to not really mean the words but to simply say the words or to pray simply because we feel forced to pray in order to be a "good" Christian. The Christian life can become so discouraging if you don't feel like you can connect to God through prayer. So what do you do? I honestly don't know. I would say keep trudging through and ask God to simply open yourself. I personally have found it the easiest to journal my prayers, otherwise, I become easily distracted by things around me or I can't form the words to say. Writing things down have always been easier for me. Things have always been easier to be put into words and I don't have to stumble with what I'm saying, I can simply say whats on my heart.

So whether you orally say your prayers, journal them or read them out of a book, just remember to try to put your whole heart behind it. Think about the words you are writing on the page, reading on the page or speaking. They are more than just words, they are words to our Savior. I don't think God cares if we have the rithgt words. Simply that we are talking with him and communing with his spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment