Thursday, December 9, 2010

Grey Areas?

In class we also discussed grey areas. Very briefly it was mentioned that there is scripture to back up both the view of pro-gay theology as well as those who oppose homosexuality. Although I am not disagreeing with grey areas in the bible, I do disagree with this statement on homosexuality. A friend of mine back home shared with me this summer that he struggles with same-sex attraction. He also shared with me that he is choosing to fight these feelings because he believes that God calls him to. Since this conversation with my friend I have been reading a decent amount of literature on this subject. One book I read was on a man who for most of his early life was a leader in pro-gay theology, as well as lived the homosexual lifestyle. This man is now happily married to his wife and has kids of his own, as well as a leader in Exodus International, which is a Christian organization promoting “the message of Freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ.” In his book he discusses many of the views on pro-gay theology that he once preached, that he now disagrees with very strongly. He says that in the Bible, “not once is a homosexual relationship mentioned in anything but negative terms.” He goes on to list many of the most debated scriptures in the bible on this subject, sharing his previous thoughts as well as his beliefs today. The goal of this blog is not to anger anyone, rather it is to discuss a belief of mine that I have done some research on, and still am doing research on today. So I would love to hear other views on this subject as I continue to work at testing my beliefs and why I believe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment