Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Poorly Constructed Blog About the Mystery of Morality

I'm not a biology major, I'm not a psychology, I'm not a religion major. I'm not a philosophy major.

I'm only a theatre major.

I depict the world. I strive to reveal some sort of truth about life through my work. However, theatre artists cannot merely show the glorious truths of God's perfection--that isn't the world we live in. How can you portray good, without an understanding of bad? How would that educate us? How would that instill awareness within us?

This semester I've wrestled a lot with morality.

What is it? Some kind of shot injected into in us at birth? Is it something we grow into, as we are nurtured into society?

Is it relative? Applicable depending on the person?

Is it situational? Applicable depending on the topic?

Is it absolute? Applicable to every person in every situation?

As Heidi mentioned in a previous blog, there seem to be so many shades of gray in this world, and as she concludes, that's OKAY.

But what about pertaining to morality?

What makes me go "Oh, that's acceptable behavior!" or "Oh, that's unacceptable behavior!"

Is morality a social construction? Has this myth of morality just become another NORM that I casually submit to?

I feel as though I'm articulating my thoughts horrendously.

What is morality?!

The ability to discern good conduct from bad conduct?
Pursuing good moral - when someone's motives are carried out with good intentions?
Good intentions? How is anyone to know? How is anyone to know?

We often talk about how complex God is. Try interpreting human intentions.

Gah.

1 comment:

  1. So many questions! And I have so few answers!
    But this is something I've thought a lot about in the past.
    Is morality relative, situational, or absolute?
    Yes, I think.
    I think there are certain things that may be considered vices or sins by some (things like drinking, smoking, cursing, what have you)that could possibly not be "bad" things for others.
    However, the Bible talks about not being a stumbling block to others. The way I've always seen that is that it might be fine for me to drink because I'm of legal age and I would do so in moderation, but where if I was with someone who struggled with alcoholism, it might be wrong for me to drink then.
    The issue of moral relativity is always a pretty difficult thing. But I think, as hard as it is for us humans, at some point we need to do everything we can to get off the fence and choose a side. To do so completely may be an impossible task, but it's something to strive for, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete