Friday, December 10, 2010

Being Content

I wanted to take some time to share a little bit from my paper. I've done this for two reasons, first because only Mr. Jensen will get the opurtunity to read it and it is pertty easy to write a blog on the same subject as my paper. So, what does being content look like? Although we may not know what God has in store for us, we know that he is in control and we continue on with our lives with this in mind. If he is truly the one leading us then we will learn to be content with the outcome. Being Content is not saying that we need to be satisfied with everything around us, but we need to approach concerns with the attitude that if Christ wants to fix it he will and not us. This idea I think is very Calvinist since God has the ultimate control. We often may be displeased with what that outcome is, but at some point we need to pick up and move on. As the apostle Paul told the people of Philippi, “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:11-13Throughout his works Lewis writes and alludes to the idea of being content. The idea of being content refers to two things for Lewis; first there is your faith and second there is everything else. As a Christian there is only one true way of being content and that happens when we have our priorities straight; when we let passions that our not God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit become the center of our lives than we will never be content.

No comments:

Post a Comment