Thursday, December 9, 2010

Screwtape's Wisdom

I sincerely appreciated what Screwtape had to say about the "Enemy's" desire for humans' view of each others' abilities and how he noted humans tend to understand each others' abilities in a way that is contrary to what the "Enemy" desires for them. Also, I find an interesting link between the "Enemy's" desire for humans' love for one another and the idea of Till We Have Faces that we will truly have a face when we can see beyond ourselves.

Screwtape noted that humans tend to hold their abilities and esteem them highly as if they believed their ability made them unique in comparison to another. Humans tend to view themselves as better than each other in this way even in spiritual matters. Screwtape explained that the Enemy yearns for humans to be equally fulfilled in others' abilities and successes as they are in their own - for them to experience true community.

The connection between God's goal for humankind's community with one another and my favorite theme from Till We Have Faces that once we can truly desire the betterment of others rather than personal satisfaction we will have a face. For example, I believe on could be outwardly doing works for others but deep within themselves, without their knowing it, be doing these works in the context of "Christianity" (Christianity is an inclusive group to belong to and do things for, a person could also do things for a choir, baseball team, business, etc to feel needed) to feel needed and included for themselves more so than they are doing the good deed for the person they are helping.

I desire to fully rejoice in others' abilities and successes rather than to compare them to myself as a method of asking myself, "Am I enough?". I also desire to give myself fully to others and to rejoice in their betterment more so than I care about my "important role". I suppose that recognition is a good step towards becoming more sanctified in this arena. Hopefully myself and others can take the necessary steps to live in true community with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment