Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: an Epic Tale?

I would like to spend my last blog talking about the film The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I know this blog isn't very Philosophic, and I apologize. This is a class about C.S. Lewis too.

I always leave the theatre asking myself, "Why did you even bother seeing this movie?" I would just like to state for the record, my childhood crawled into the fetal position and died after I saw this movie. What a horrible interpretation of such a beautiful story.

If you haven't seem the movie yet stop reading.

* * * Spoilers * * *

Apparently Hollywood was convinced that Lewis didn't create a strong enough objective to accomplish throughout the story. What did they do? Write one in.

What a bunch of bull...

What happened to the spontaneity of adventure? What happened to the curiosity of a child? Why must we spend our time searching for swords and elixirs that will disenchant the evil green "mist" of the dark island? Good Grief.

My biggest problem with this movie is, I feel, a problem with MOST movies.

Why must a beautiful moment of honesty be bogged down by overt speculation, expensive CGI, and Epic battles of do or die?

Aristotle claims that spectacle is the least important aspect of art. He's on the right track.

Beautiful moments in this movie were overloaded with unnecessary spectacle.

As Professor Jeff Barker often tells me, "Just tell the story."

Just tell the story Hollywood. Just tell the story. Quit appeasing our eyes with fireworks and invoke our souls with truth. Why must Reepicheep rise epically into Aslan's country, soaring over a giant gravity defying waterfall? Can he not simply sail into the east and disappear from sight? Does this not evoke a more emotional response?

Not everything in life is as epic as we make it out to be.

Just my two cents, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment