Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Not What I Expected

I have always known C.S. Lewis to be an author of the beloved children’s literature and as one of the best theologians and philosophers of his time. But after taking this class, I have realized that Lewis has a lot more to offer, and not an offering that is expected of most Christians today. Before taking the class, I thought that he had many of the same views that I had grown up with, but after reading many of his works, Lewis is far from what most Christians (who haven’t read Lewis) expect from him. And I must say that I am thankful for Lewis not meeting my expectations because I have been challenged beyond belief through what ideas he has brought to the surface. Lewis has helped me to finally overcome many of my legalistic beliefs, and cleared my eyes to see that being a Christian really isn’t all that black and white. Christianity is gray. But the one thing I do know, and Lewis knew, is that Christ came to save us. He loves us and He calls us to love others. Every other idea is extremely fun to think about and wrestle with, but they all fall under these two commandments. In all, Lewis has challenged me with ideas that I never thought I could actually take into consideration. He has provided me with prime conversation topics. He has me taking sides I never thought I would be on. He has helped challenge me in my faith. And he hasn’t been what I expected. He outdone my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment