Sunday, December 12, 2010

learning curve

I do have to say that this class has probably been one of the most challenging classes thought process wise that I have taken in the past 3 1/2 years at Northwestern. My different beliefs that I have had, struggled with have been rocked again by the different perceptions that C.S. Lewis presents throughout all his books.

One of the main things I have had to chew on is the concept of potentially damning self to hell or well choosing hell. The time of when someone becomes so consumed with self, they forget about everything and everyone else. They are overcome with whatever temporarily makes them happy and then continuously searches out for more and will do whatever, simply to fulfill this desire. I look at the American society and this is what I see. I see people becoming so consumed with themselves, this very individualistic society. I see this even in Christians. Yes they give money to the poor, to most likely make themselves feel good. But what about being right there with the poor? Struggling with them? Getting to know them? Helping them? This obviously leads to the different perceptions of love that Lewis gives. How each love cannot fully function without charity. Otherwise they become so inward that they blow up in their own faces and are not the loves that God intended them to be. Love can be a bad thing I have kind of decided if it is not used for its intended purposes and if it is not in check with the love with Christ proportionately. It's silly to say that one can love too much, but can it be dangerous to a person if Christ is not in that love?

These are just some of the things that I have struggled with this semester. There are definitely more struggles and thoughts that have been rambling through my mind and that have been regurgitated on my notes for different classes, in my journal and in conversations with my friends. C.S. Lewis, you're a tricky one, but a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment