Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Show yourself!

Death--the unknown. I often question the authenticity of the afterlife. I frequently find myself doubting that the "eternal bliss" (which my grandmother raves about) actually exists. Perhaps I died tonight and discovered that heaven and God really do exist. What would I say to him?

"Why the hell weren't you more obvious back there?!"

I think that's a fairly plausible answer.

In "Till We Have Faces" Orual eventually discovers that Psyche is unable to look upon her husband, and that he only reveals himself in darkness.

She wonders (a question similar to my own), what sort of god is this “that dares not show his face”?

Orual persuades Psyche to bring a lamp into her husbands room and discover the truth. Psyche does and is sent into exile. I would say that Orual is filled with anger toward the gods. After all, if they made themselves known, couldn't all this exile and suffering be avoided?

I relate to this.

Seriously, God, talk to me. Communication, ever heard of it?

Perhaps I'm not looking at this from the right perspective (once again I find myself caught in my own realm of humanity). Yes, communication is the problem, but we shouldn't see it as God falling short to talk to us, but ourselves--humanity, being unable to understand what God is saying. This would only make sense, I suppose. After all, we are fallen from perfection. God is unable to reveal his majesty through fallible means of human communication. Mankind is too simple to understand God's celestial tongue.

Eventually, Orual understands this.

"How can the gods meet us face to face till we have faces?"

How can God talk to us until we understand his language?

No comments:

Post a Comment