Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sloth and Pride

And Nothing is very strong: strong enough to steal away a man’s best years not in sweet sins but in a dreary flickering of the mind over it knows not what and knows not why, in the gratification of curiosities so feeble that the man is only half aware of them, in drumming of fingers and kicking of heels, in whistling tines that he does not like, or in the long, dim labyrinth of reveries that have not even lust or ambition to give them a relish, but which, once chance association has started them, the creature is too weak and befuddle to shake off.
This very long sentence is from the end of Letter 12. This nothing that Screwtape refers to, I suppose, would be known as sloth. Never accomplishing anything, never wrestling with problems, never even enjoying the things which you ought. God is calling us to live productive lives: to learn, to think, to fail, to get back up again. So it is a sin then to not accomplish anything, to not use the gifts God has given us.
This is also in conjunction with the chapter that is talking about talents. What does this have to do with humility? God gave us talents to use them. Each person has different talents. Some have similar talents to complement the talents of others. We work together as a body. But each part is unique. If it doesn’t do its part the body cannot function properly.
If we are letting our minds wander aimlessly then we are not acting as the part of the body that God destined us to be, that God designed us for. He gave us passions and talents to use and when we don’t use them we are hindering not only our own faith, but also the work of the body of Christ. But too much recognition of our talents will also hurt the body. Our pride in our accomplishments will be putting us on a pedestal instead of God, without whom none of the things we do would be possible.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think that I am Wentworth in the way that I waste my time. My girlfriend has never let die the time that I stayed up all night watching "skateboarder vs. cop" videos on youtube. How many videos could there possibly be of mouthy teens getting arrested by over zealous officers and maintain my attention? Apparently eight hours worth.

    What did Wentworth waste his time on? Fake sex with demons? Jealousy? masturbation? Pride? To which of these sins could not be preceded by laziness? How right Screwtape was when he speaks of the strongness of nothing. It reminds me of what Paul says in Romans 7:14: FOr we know that the Torah is of the Spirit; but as for me, I am bound to the old nature, sold to sin as a slave. I don't understand my own behavior-- I don't do what I want to do; instead, I do the very thing I hate!"

    I had to take an extra Prozac after my night of "skateboarder vs. cop."

    ReplyDelete