Thursday, December 9, 2010

Religion and Politics

The last few days in class we have discussed religion and politics. We’ve talked about how as humans we all try our best to interpret scripture, but this means that we will each interpret it differently. We discussed the fact that devout Christians who know God’s word very well can be both liberals and conservatives. Each group is convinced that their way of thinking is the right way, and that the opposite group must not know the scripture very well, but that’s where we are wrong. This was somewhat of a wake up call to me. I think too often I believe something without knowing ALL of the facts behind it. One example is abortion. When it comes to politics I am not a very outspoken individual, mainly because I do not have enough knowledge in this area to say much. I have always disagreed with abortion. Yet, it was not until recently that I learned that birth control pills can be looked at as a kind of abortion. So although I still am against abortions, its important for me to know that in a small way I am contradicting myself when I do agree with the use of the pills, and I need to know that this will frustrate people. I think in general, my eyes have really been opened. To often I believe something without having much factual knowledge. I need to start questioning what I believe a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment