Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Four Loves. The Love of Nature

It's a classic case of Enlightenment verses Romanticism. As a theatre major / art minor at a liberal arts school, I often find myself caught in the middle of such debate.

Intellect vs Nature / Mind vs Life / Academia vs Art.

Yet, I'm always baffled by people's radical stance on either subject. And after reading The Four Loves, I think it has become quite clear where Lewis stands. Honestly, I was a bit saddened by his convictions.

"Nature is not a teacher." I've wondered about this quote. Is Lewis disregarding the importance of general revelation? Without it, how can one even BEGIN to understand special revelation?

Later on he calls Wordsworth Philosophaster. Then again, Wordsworth's opinions on Lewis' type of study is equally as outspoken.

"One impulse from a vernal wood may teach you more of man, of moral evil and of good, than all the sages can."

Wordsworth clearly has a strong opinion on academia.

I suppose my question is as simple this:

Why such hostility?

Cannot Academics and Artists work together?

Collaboration of such polarized "skills" might enable humanity to unearth the most nuanced and thorough understanding of life.

Coming from my own perspective:
Theatre asks us to represent life. Life is not limited to philosophy. Life is not limited to nature. Life is everything. My desire is to study life--everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment